Week 1 Two Cultures

View from the outside of the UCLA Factor Building (School of Nursing)
http://www.sandywang.net/uclagordonmacdonald.html
Snow's idea of the two cultures plays a very big role in society, especially on the campus of UCLA. I see the idea of two cultures every day being a Nursing major in the south campus I see it within myself as well as my friends who are middle campus or North campus, the distinction is very clear. When Snow mentions the bridging of the gap, I see myself being very interested and involved in my friends' classes that may not have much to do with the idea of nursing. I find myself being interested in political science which is a complete North campus major. There are many clubs on campus that can also bridge the gap such as Hermanos Unidos (Latino organization) or Nashaa (an Indian dance club/group). It is a organization that brings people of all majors to a certain place which ties in with their culture. No matter your major your ethnic or financial backgrounds will all bring you back to a common place or something you love to do.

Being a person who comes from an Indian background, I have clearly seen the two cultures in many instances in my life. Being the child of Indian parents, I had to acclimate to living in the American culture. There are many difference in Indian culture and American culture from the food we eat, to the way we go about daily lifestyles, etc. I have had to learn to accept the differences and adapt to the two different cultures because of the area I live in.
The country of India depicted with its flag colors with the silhouette 
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/vector-illustration-india-flag-map-art-73630398.jpg

 These new ideas and perspectives could benefit me in my life as a student and I can try to use them in my learning abilities. It can teach me new ways to communicate and interact with people. It could also help me when I engage with people from other cultures because I will have a vast array of knowledge about the background other people come from.
The clash of science and arts and how they become one idea
https://beingfa.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/artscience.jpeg

Over time I have learned to see how the sciences and arts can be related through many aspects. These two worlds can be far apart, but it is what makes the world one. The third culture can bring out new ideas. As Victoria Vesna stated in "Toward the Third Culture", that "there is a bridge being formed between the sciences and the humanities." It is clear to see that the world is bringing those two ideas and integrating them into one huge one.


Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a third culture: being in between." Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-125.

Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." The Third Culture. N.p., n.d. Web. Feb. 1998
Brockman, John. The Third Culture. N.p.: n.p., 1995. Print.

Snow, C.P. The Two Cultures: And a Second Look. N.p.: n.p., 1963. Print.









Comments

  1. Hello Ayaz.

    I found your post to be very interesting, thank you for sharing. Like you, I am also a nursing major but your perspective on things definitely made me approach this seperation change. For example, we you quoted C.P. Snow about the bridging of gap together. I found it fascinating your approach about doing so through different clubs and organizations found on campus. Like everyone else at UCLA we are all on the same boat, trying to get an education in order to better our lives and have a career in the field that interest us the most. So like you I also believe that clubs and organizations are a key factor in being able to close that gap between north campus and south campus specifically at UCLA. Not only would organizations serve as a bridging point, but it would also serve as a way to get different exposure about many peoples backgrounds. One thing I love about UCLA is the diversity and getting to meet new people and learning about there culture and food. So organizations would also help in this aspect. I believe that with people being able to function more humanly it will definitely help bridge the gap between Science and Literature. And the first step in order to do this is to get to know new people and work together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - NanoTech + Art

Week 2 - Math + Art

Event 2 - The Construction of the Environment in Epigenetics Research